William Morris's Socialism
This section is designed to introduce William Morris's activities and beliefs as a social thinker and leader in the emerging Socialist movement.
Selected Writings by Morris:
- Full texts of many of Morris's published socialist writings are found on the Marxist Internet Archive (see under archive, author, William Morris, works).
- Several of Morris's socialist writings appear in the Morris Online Edition in the form of digital versions of the Kelmscott Press editions. For example, see News from Nowhere: or, An Epoch of Rest (1890-91), A Dream of John Ball (1888), and Gothic Architecture (1889).
- Socialist Diary (1887). The introduction by Florence Boos provides a overview of Morris's socialism.
- Chronological List of William Morris's Writings. Look for these items:
- Art and Socialism: A Lecture Delivered before the Secular Society of Leicester. London: W. Reeves; Manchester: Heywoods, 1884.
Modern Commentary on Morris's Socialism:
- Articles on Morris's socialism in the Journal of William Morris Studies.
- Selective Bibliography of Writings about Willam Morris
- Pinkney, Tony "The Pre-Raphaelites in Oxford." JWMS 7.4 (Spring 1988): 5–9. [pdf]
- Marsh, Jan. "Concerning Love: News From Nowhere and Gender." William Morris & News from Nowhere: A Vision for Our Time, eds. Stephen Coleman and Paddy O'Sullivan. Bideford, Devon: Green Books, 1990. 107&bdash;125.
- Watkinson, Ray. "The Obstinate Refusers: Work in News From Nowhere." William Morris & News from Nowhere: A Vision for Our Time, dds. Stephen Coleman and Paddy O'Sullivan. Bideford, Devon: Green Books, 1990. 91–106.
- Salmon, Nicholas. "The Revision of A Dream of John Ball." JWMS 10.2 (Spring 1993): 15–17. [pdf]
- Faulkner, Peter. "Murray, Marx and Morris." JWMS 12.4 (Spring 1998): 7–14. [pdf]
- Boos, Florence S. "News From Nowhere and 'Garden Cities': Morris's Utopia and Nineteenth-Century Town-Design." Journal of Pre-Raphaelite Studies n. s. 7.2 (Fall 1998): 5–27.
- Boos, Florence S. "Personal and Political Lieux d'Anticipation in News from Nowhere." William Morris, News from Nowhere, Ouvrage Collectif Coordonné par Béatrice Laurent (Editions du Temps: Nantes, 2004): 93–107.